Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork from from

 One Good Thing by Jillee

                         


Sweet Pork Barbacoa
2 pounds pork (I like to use the pork butt – my butcher concurs)
2 cans Coke (NOT diet)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 c. water
1 can diced green chiles
3/4 can enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso)
1 c. brown sugar
Put the pork in a reclosable bag to marinate, pour in one of the cans of Coke and 1/2 c. brown sugar. Marinade for a few hours or overnight. (I’ve done both…they both work.)
Drain marinade and put pork, 1/2 can of Coke, water, and garlic salt in crock pot on high for about 3-4 hours. Remove pork from crock pot, drain off liquid, shred pork. (I use two forks because I’m too impatient to wait until it’s cool.)
Mix together (in a bowl or in the blender) other 1/2 can of Coke, can of chiles, enchilada sauce and brown sugar.
Put shredded pork back in the crock pot, cover with sauce, heat just until warmed through.

**When I made it I bought pork that was labeled "carnitas"  at Walmart.   It was very tender after being cooked in the crock pot.  I added about 1/2 cup more brown sugar at the very end because I wanted it a little sweeter.  The husband said it was better than Cafe Rio, but not as good as Costa Vida.  I thought it was pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment